Thursday, August 26, 2004

Thursday August 26, 2004 - Child Abuse?

I'm rather troubled. Desiree has been writing recently of an incident where she witnessed a scene between a mother and child that could be construed as abusive. From the sound of things, the incident is escalating into something major (the authorities are investigating).

Desiree is outraged by what she has seen. I don't blame her - child abuse is unconscionable. I support the stand that she is taking on this.

But I also see the other side of the incident - the side of the frazzled mom who can't take one moment more of the misbehavior. I understand how it can happen because I've been at that point too many times - when it just seems better to smack the damn kid than to handle it reasonably.

I am very aware of my own tendencies towards this kind of behavior. That is why I am particularly conscious of my anger and frustration toward my children at times. Most of the time, when I get that angry, I succeed at being rational and adult. Rarely, I fail. And those few times that I have failed fill me with guilt.

But knowing is half the battle. I had to make an active decision to handle these situations better, and for the most part I have succeeded.

You probably think less of me now for admitting this to you. I understand. Please have no fear that I am abusing my children - that would be abhorrent. Please know that I am always trying to be a better parent every day.


1 Comments:

Blogger Mz. Gydnew said...

We have all been there. I have always felt for the single parents in those situations because I know on the days when I was on the edge I could always count on Will to step in and take over so I could take a step back and vice versa. On those days it was really easy to put myself into the shoes of an abusive parent. It's gotten easier as he's gotten older but he can still turn me into a raging maniac in a moments notice.

Parenting is the hardest job we will ever have.

8/27/2004 11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home