Sunday, September 19, 2004

Sunday, September 19, 2004 - Here's Something You Don't See Every Day:

A Protestant (me) reading a book about Islam in a Catholic church.

Oh, I just kill myself! LOL

I was guest bell-ringing for a service over at my handbell choir director's *real* church (made some money at it too) and I happened to bring "Essentials of the Islamic Faith" with me. The ringing went well, and I really like playing with that group. But man, those Catholics sure make their services lengthy (a little over 2 hours)! And it's not just sit down and listen quietly, it's stand up, cross yourself, sing a hymn, recite the Nicene Creed, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself about...

(don't make fun of the Catholics, don't make fun of the Catholics, don't make fun of the Catholics...)

BTW, I have a fair bit I want to say about this book, but I think it would bore the regular readers, so maybe I'll do up a separate blog for it. Maybe I'll call it Philosophy's A Bitch. Or, Religion For Dummies By Dummies. Or, Everyone Is Wrong About The Nature Of The Universe. Eh, it will just be a place where I can show off my ignorance in theology and philosophy. Better get crackin'!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mz. Gydnew said...

I freaked out when everyone would kneel down. Ahhhh...I thought those things were footrests.

9/20/2004 11:22 PM  
Blogger ShadowAngel said...

LOL! The kneeling thing is really the only thing that I'm rather disinclined to do when I am visiting a Catholic church. I don't know what bothers me so much about it. I can do most of the responses (except the Nicene Creed, because I know it in Latin but not English!) without thinking too much about it.

While I tend to be inclined to criticize the Catholic church, I'll never (ok, seldom) criticize the Catholics themselves, because we are all just trying to make our way in the world in slightly different ways. Even if it involves the hokey-pokey.

9/21/2004 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home