Sunday, July 25, 2004

Sunday, July 25, 2004 - A Happy and Sad Party

Yesterday was my cousin's high school graduation party. This was one big shindig. It looked like about 100 guests, catered, rented tent, live band (ok, some of her school friends, but they were pretty good - it made me realize just how badly I play my instruments). She looked so happy and I'm very proud of her. It's kind of hard to believe it - she is my youngest cousin, and she's all grown up now! Boo hoo hoo!

Almost all of the extended family on my father's side was there. And I was very happy to see most of them (it is  a typical family, after all). I was not happy with Ironwolf though, because he spent half the time there playing poker, abandoning me (again!) to keep an eye on the kids by myself. But in all fairness to him, he was playing with my grandparents, and if he can offer them a little brightness in their existance, who am I to complain?

I learned that I really do like to play badminton after all, so maybe I'll put the net back up here. Heaven knows I could use the exercise.

Rascal fell in the pool during one of the few 30-second lapses in direct supervision by his parents. He was fetched out by another party guest and he was fine, but he was rather upset. He felt bad about it, but I guess that it's best that he learned the "hard way" the "easy way", with plenty of people around to help him out. Thank goodness I'd packed a spare set of clothes for him.  The funny part is that his 4-year-old cousin had fallen in that same pool only a few days earlier, so Rascal's cousin provided a great deal of empathy and support.

So the party was great, except that this was the last time we would all be together before my father leaves for South Carolina. I hear my parents talking to others, and it's so obvious that they don't  want to go. I really hope it works out for them. It was really very sad as each of us took our leave. My sister couldn't hold back her tears, and I barely could. I'll deal with it on my own. We are all going to miss him terribly. But I'm sure that we will get to see him again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home